Sunday 22 January 2012


How does your media product represent particular social groups?

I feel that I have represented the social group within my target audience throughout my magazine and by looking at the front cover; the images and text clearly show it what kind of genre it is. It displays the readers are casual people and prefer a picture based magazine rather than lots of text. This is shown through the major use of images and the picture like text I have used, as well as the colour scheme I have chosen. I have tried to avoid as much black and duller colours throughout my magazine as it does not represent the energy and mood that is represented with the genre. The abstract ‘urban’ background on my front cover represents the scene in its entirety portraying to the audience that the magazine is ‘fresh’, and understand the scene as they do. I have although used black in certain areas for effect and to make things bolder and to stand out more or darker, therefore representing more mysterious content.
            The males featured on my front cover look serious, successful and dedicated signified by the props shown, both expensive pieces of equipment. They fill out most of the page and are dominant over the other sell lines involved around the images. This signifies that they are a main feature of this issue, attracting their fans and people who are interested in them, and will be the USP of the magazine. In addition, the facial expressions and body language of the pair are contrasting; one is opened up with his arms open starring straight into the camera, the other, closed up and covering part of his face with the headphones. This represents how their personalities could possibly be conflicting as well, therefore creating a question in the audience’s minds and wanting to pick up the magazine and read on. They are wearing casual clothes and nothing too special or expensive, displaying how they are like every day people and don’t want to be classed as anything more than a normal human being. They do not have any cosmetic products on them to reinforce the idea that they are normal people and do not need special treatment just because they are known by a variety of people.
            In addition, I have ensured that the artists are wearing unique clothes, and nothing with a brand or logo on, displaying they are individual and not conforming to any stereotypes. I have also displayed a MIDI Controller (Keyboard) and headphones on the front cover, displaying that anyone can enjoy music, and even enjoy making it, as the cover models are normal people like them.
            I see my readers being heavily involved in the scene, who are keen to find new artists and don’t just go for the mainstream headlining acts that everyone knows about. Although, I do predict that if there are major artists featured, they will help the issue to sell better than those which only include underground artists that not as many people would’ve heard of. For this reason, I have decided to include a few A2/A3 posters every week of one of the bigger names for those people who are artistic and like to decorate their bedrooms. This will also help identify the readers of my magazine as you can identify the posters with the magazine due to the masthead design on the posters.

No comments:

Post a Comment